PORTLAND, Ore. – Northwest Natural Gas Company, dba NW Natural (NYSE:NWN), announced today that it’s now serving 700,000 customers throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington.
NW Natural first brought gas to this region 155 years ago to light gas lamps on Portland city streets and in homes and businesses. Today, natural gas is an abundant and efficient energy source for residential and commercial space heating, water heating and cooking. And it plays an important role in manufacturing and transportation.
“We thank our customers for giving us the opportunity to serve their energy needs with safe, reliable and affordable natural gas,” said Gregg Kantor, NW Natural President and CEO. “We grew up here, and we look forward to continuing to grow with the region.”
Here’s a look back at customer milestones leading up to 700,000:
* In 1961, just five years after natural gas arrived in the Pacific Northwest, we reached 100,000 customers.
* In 1973, we reached 200,000 customers as we headed toward completing our new headquarters in 1979.
* In 1989, a Vancouver, Wash., family became our 300,000th customer.
* In 2000, NW Natural helped Portland Public Schools convert its first school to natural gas and celebrated 500,000 customers with a party in Pioneer Courthouse Square.
* In 2005, we brought natural gas to Coos Bay with our 600,000th customer.
Visit https://www.nwnatural.com/uploadedFiles/We_Grew_Up_Here.pdf for a more complete look at NW Natural’s company history.
Over the next seven days, NW Natural will celebrate reaching 700,000 customers by tweeting a daily customer milestone using the hashtag #Celebrating700KCustomers. Twitter users who retweet the milestones will be entered into a daily drawing for a gift card.